1. Getting young people ready for work: the Pre-Apprenticeship Programme
Many employers have voiced the opinion that young people are not ready to work when they first look for a job: they have little or no work skills or experience of work have little idea of what an employer will expect from them in terms of listening to and following instructions do not understand the importance of being reliable and punctual are not able to work well with other workers.
At BEP Group we want to ensure that each young person we put forward for an apprenticeship with an employer will have been trained in employability skills, is work ready, enthusiastic and understands the responsibilities of being an employee. The programme is delivered locally to your business by BEP Group and our partners from across London.
2. Our Pre-Apprenticeship Training Programme includes:
- Ensuring the young people receive the correct information and guidance about work and becoming an apprentice
- Working with employers other agencies to make sure all young people receive the correct advice about work
- The delivery of employability skills training (including time management, CV preparation and interview skills)
- Short work experience and taster sessions with employers
- Access to, and support from a dedicated mentor throughout the Pre-Apprenticeship and first six months of employment.
3. The benefits for employers include:
- Better-trained employees, with the right skills - apprenticeship training provides your employees with expertise that is specific to the industry and directly relevant to the business.
- Improved productivity - because training is relevant they can have an immediate effect and make a meaningful contribution to business.
- Motivated and loyal workers - apprentices feel valued, which makes them motivated
- Progression pathways available to higher qualifications, Foundation Degree, Degree and Professional Qualifications
- Potential managers / leaders of the future
- Improved retention especially in high turnover sectors – “Apprentices are five times more likely to stay with a company than their peers who have not undergone Apprenticeship training” (Labour Force Survey 2001–2004)
- Addressing skills shortages
4. Finding the right person for your company
Recruiting can be an expensive process and can take a lot of management time without necessarily producing good results. It may be difficult to recruit the skills that your company needs when you may also have to downsize in other areas of your workforce. New Apprentices are being referred to us by schools, colleges, training providers, youth services and others.
5. Recruiting an apprentice with BEP Group’s programme has the following advantages:
- We make sure that you are presented with applications from work ready and committed young people – we offer training and support to young people (for up to 26 weeks) before they apply for a job
- Only young people who are really interested in your line of work and company will apply, in effect we do the pre-selection for you
- We will support you and the young people through the interview process (we can arrange the whole process for and with you if you want)
- We will find a training provider and organise the free apprenticeship training for you
- We will help and support the apprentice through the first six months of their employment and training with you
6. Employing the apprentice
Route 1 – Employing directly
The apprentice is on your payroll.
The young person will be part of your company and will be directly employed in the same way an any other employee that you may hire.
If you use BEP Group we can provide the following services to you:
- Recruit an appropriate young person as your apprentice and give you a choice of candidates to interview if you wish
- Arrange for your apprentice to receive the correct training
- Support you with the progress of the apprentice in your company
- Support the apprentice in their training and employment
Your Apprentice is going to stay with you throughout their training and beyond – they will be trained to your way of working and will bring the latest ideas from their training to your business.
Route 2 – Employing through our agency
The apprentice is on our payroll.
Some companies may decide that they are unable to consider taking on an apprentice, even though they might like to, because they are too small or do not have the administration resources to employ another person.
This route is only open to those companies who would not otherwise be able to take on an apprentice by direct employment.
In addition to the service outlined to the left, BEP Group would also:
- Employ the apprentice and place them in your company – you pay an agreed fee to cover the wages and costs of the apprentice
- Organise and administer holiday pay, sick pay and any other statutory entitlements
- Replace or remove an apprentice if their position with your company becomes untenable